Not-for-profit health care organizations are exempt from paying federal income taxes because they fall into a category recognized by the federal tax code as charitable organizations. Beginning with tax year 2008, tax-exempt hospitals have been required to file an IRS form 990, schedule H to report their community benefit activities and other information related tax exemption. With passage of the Affordable Care Act in 2010, these organizations must also conduct community health needs assessments (CHNA), develop implementation strategies (Community Health Plan – CHP) and meet other requirements related to financial assistance, billing, and collections.
At Loma Linda University Health, our commitment to caring for the mind, body and spirit is part of everything we do. We're combining our education, clinical care and research programs to fulfill our mission — making man whole. Together, we'll strengthen our dedication to wellness because everyone deserves the chance to enjoy a longer, healthier life. LLUH is rooted in promoting wholeness and our community benefit investments are designed to support the community needs. The initiative and programs includes an understanding of the community health status and the built in environment for our health system’s readiness to meet the need of our community.
Loma Linda University Health’s Community Benefit is based on six foundation beliefs:
- Serving those who live in poverty and are vulnerable.
- As a not-for-profit health care system, we have a commitment to improve and invest in the health of the community we serve.
- Work in collaboration with community members, organizations and agencies for a shared goal of community health improvement.
- Conduct an inventory of our community benefit programs and investment and effectively report to governing agencies and make the report available and accessible to all for trust and accountability.
- Commitment to community health improvement reflected throughout the organization.
- The Board and Leaderships commitment to supporting effective community benefit programs.
Community Benefit Reports
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) Report
Community Health Plan (CHP) Report
Annual Community Benefit (CB) Report