Why Patients Choose LLUMC's International Patient Services
Exceptional medical care
Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC) is one ofthe leading medical institutions in the United States, and we treasure our international reputation in the treatment of cancer, organ transplantation, neonatal care, and many other specialties:
- LLUMC is home to the first hospital-based proton treatment center in the world. James M. Slater, M.D. Proton Treatment and Research Center was opened in 1990 and since then, has treated more than 12,000 patients from all around the world. LLUMC Proton Treatment Center continues to treat more patients than any other center of its kind. ( More...)
- LLUMC offers a new Cancer Center that encompasses a total of 11 Centers of Excellence. Each of these 11 Centers provides for a specialized type of cancer treatment, including Clinical Research Trials. ( More...)
- LLUMC is the world's leading center for infant heart transplantations. The first infant heart transplant operation took place in 1984. Because of outstanding long-term survival results of its patients, LLUMC has developed a broad regional, national and international patient referral base. ( More...)
- LLUMC has one of the largest and most advanced neonatal intensive care units for premature or sick babies in the world. LLUMC is licensed for 72 neonatal intensive care beds and is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the world. Approximately, 22,000 square feet (approximately 2000 square meters) are dedicated to caring for some of the tiniest babies ever born. ( More...)
- LLUMC offers advanced medicine in every clinical specialty. The complete list of services provided by LLUMC can be found here.
Outstanding personalized care
The International Patient Services Department of LLUMC is one of the few programs in the country where a Registered Nurse (RN) will follow your care from the time you contact our office until you return home. We will meet you at the airport, provide an interpreter, arrange for transportation, accompany you to your first medical appointment, and respond to your medical needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can learn more about our personalized services here.
Home away from home
Even our office feels like a living room. We realize this is a difficult time for you, and we treat all our patients in a courteous, warm and understanding manner.
Loma Linda is a small, safe and quiet town. It is located in Southern California approximately 60 miles (97 kilometers) east of Los Angeles. It is nestled in the valley of the San Bernardino Mountains and is fortunate to have mild weather year-round. Conveniently located, Loma Linda is within comfortable driving distance from Los Angeles, Long Beach, San Diego, Palm Springs, and Las Vegas. Southern California has many cultural and natural attractions to suit various tastes and preferences: museums, art exhibitions, theaters, amusement parks, shopping centers, athletic events, national parks, mountains, and beaches.
Southern California is home to several nature and science museums including the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific and the California Science Center. If you enjoy art and beauty, then be sure to visit the J. Paul Getty Museum, The Pageant of the Masters, and the Los Angeles Tournament of Roses Parade.
Thousands of families from around the world travel to Southern California to visit the famous amusement parks, such as Disneyland, SeaWorld, Legoland, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, and others. Loma Linda University offers discounted tickets to most of these attractions.
Mountains and Beaches
If you like spending a day on the beach then you can quickly and easily get to the famous beaches of Santa Monica, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. The nearby San Bernardino Mountains are an ideal place for nature hikes and picnics.
Fitness and Recreational Center
And do not forget about our very own Drayson Center. The Drayson Center opened its doors on January 11, 1995, encompassing a 100,000 square-feet (9300 square-meters), state-of-the-art facility. Students, Medical Center employees, and Medical Center patients congregate at the Drayson Center for fitness, recreational and social activities and programs that emphasize and promote physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual wholeness.
LLUMC is a teaching facility, and it welcomes physicians, clinicians, patients, and visitors from all over the world. The city of Loma Linda has been called an oasis of diversity.