Proton Treatment Center
Also referred to as proton therapy, proton radiation treatment involves the use of focused, high-energy protons to kill malignant cells while minimizing damage to surrounding, healthy tissues, allowing for a speedier recovery and a reduced risk of experiencing side effects.
Treatments Offered at Our Proton Treatment Center
Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC) is home to the U.S.'s first hospital-based proton therapy cancer treatment center. At the James M. Slater, M.D. Proton Treatment and Research Center, our expert staff is dedicated to providing men with cutting-edge proton radiation therapy in a compassionate, professional manner.
Any condition that can be treated with traditional radiation can also benefit from proton radiation therapy. Among the various conditions we can treat with proton therapy are:
- Prostate cancer
- Genitourinary cancers – malignancies affecting the genitals, reproductive organs and / or urinary tract
- Acoustic neuroma – non-cancerous tumors located in the inner ear that can cause deafness
- Brain cancer
- Lung cancer
- Pituitary gland tumors
- Retinoblastoma or cancer of the retina
- Spinal cord tumors and chordoma – a rare bone cancer that typically starts in the lower spine
Proton radiation treatment can also be effective at treating non-cancerous conditions that are localized in a particular area of the body; however, it is important to note that proton therapy is not indicated for the treatment of systemic conditions, such as leukemia, which affect the entire body and the way a specific system or organic process works.
How Proton Therapy Works
The goal of proton radiation treatment is to target proton beams at the tumor. Before this can happen, our expert staff:
- Takes a series of computed tomography (CT) scans
- Recreates an image of the tumor and surrounding tissues
- Maps out the angles at which proton beams will need to be projected at the body.
With this information, LLUMC's experienced team will then calculate the precise dose of proton radiation suitable for each individual man. Our extensive research and planning ensures that we are delivering optimal treatment with minimal side effects.
To Learn More about Proton Radiation Treatment
Call (800) PROTONS to schedule an appointment today!
Or visit the following sections of our website: